2014-2015 Class Offerings
2014-2015 COMPASS Calendar
COMPASS Weekly - Student Blog
Current School Year Calendar
Board of Education
HS Renovation Project
LM Online Payments Portal
Linn-Mar Drama presents Disney's Peter Pan Jr.
Rescheduling Excelsior Parent/Teacher Conferences
Novak's Stuffed Animal Drive
LMHS students' ceramic work selected for national show
Halupnik to leave Linn-Mar at end of school year
Registration Open for Girls Soccer Clinic
Linn-Mar Foundation's 2015 Mane Event
Robotics Dark Matter Wins 2nd Place Robot Alliance in FTC Challenge
Linn-Mar Athletics Update
Dr. Crawford appointed by Linn-Mar Board of Education
2015 LIONS Award nominations being accepted
Weather Cancellations/Closings at Linn-Mar
Read All News Stories
COMPASS Center - Main Page
<- See left panel for additional pages for COMPASS Center
COMPASS Staff Directory | Event Calendar
***Bring in your Cedar Rapids/Marion Hy-Vee and Hy-Vee Drugstore receipts for the Cash 4 Students program. For every $200 in receipts we collect Hy-Vee will donate $1 to COMPASS!
COMPASS Alternative Center
2999 North 10th Street
Marion, IA 52302
COMPASS is a voluntary high school program designed to provide an alternative education for students in grades 9-12 in the Linn-Mar and Marion Independent School Districts. Students attending COMPASS earn credit toward their resident high school diploma. COMPASS meets the unique needs of students by providing individualized graduation plans, a modified schedule, small student-teacher ratio, relevant curriculum, and community involvement. Our goal is to provide academic and social/emotional support so that every student will achieve academic and personal success.
Classes at COMPASS follow an 85 minute block schedule Monday through Thursday. Fridays offer students an opportunity to take additional classes. Classes at COMPASS are delivered in a teacher led, electronic-based and independent study format.
Successful COMPASS students...
- Request a transfer to COMPASS with support of parents/guardian
- May have experiences a disruptive life event which interferes with his/her progress toward graduation
- May need an altered school day schedule which cannot be accommodated at other schools
- Have reliable transportation to and from school
- Have adults and others that support their educational success
- Are comfortable in a small learning environment
- Learn best with a low student to teacher ratio
- Respond positively to supportive relationships with adults
- Take responsibility for their education
- Have a desire to graduate from high school
- Are in good disciplinary standing at school
If you are interested in attending COMPASS, talk to your school counselor to start the intake process. Students are encouraged to start COMPASS at the beginning of an academic quarter. It may not be possible for a student starting mid-quarter to have a full schedule at COMPASS.
See links to the left for specific COMPASS information.
There are links to one or more sites on this page that are external to the Linn-Mar Community School District web site and the Linn-Mar CSD is not responsible for the content contained on these sites.
Contact COMPASS Center