2012-2013 Class Offerings
2012-2013 COMPASS Calendar
Current School Year Calendar
13-14 School Year Calendar
Echo Hill event in memory of former SAM
Jenks Invited to Run at National Event
Excelsior Student Interviews Linn-Mar's Superintendent
Wondrous Raku at Linn Grove
Our Iron Lions have engineered a great summer camp!
Passports Registration to Close Friday, May 24th
Our Lions Race to the top at State
Linn-Mar 4th Graders learn about Careers on Wheels
Linn-Mar High School Choirs Invited to Perform in New York City
Stories Alive! gets seriously silly with author Alan Katz
State Large Group Music Festival Results
Lions….and tigers and bears, oh my!
Read All News Stories
COMPASS Center - Main Page
<- See left panel for additional pages for COMPASS Center
COMPASS Staff Directory | Event Calendar
COMPASS Alternative Center
2999 North 10th Street
Marion, IA 52302
COMPASS is a voluntary high school program designed to provide an alternative education for students in grades 9-12 in the Linn-Mar and Marion Independent School Districts. Students attending COMPASS earn credit toward their resident high school diploma. COMPASS meets the unique needs of students by providing individualized graduation plans, a modified schedule, small student-teacher ratio, relevant curriculum, and community involvement. Our goal is to provide academic and social/emotional support so that every student will achieve academic and personal success.
Classes at COMPASS follow an 85 minute block schedule Monday through Thursday. Fridays offer students an opportunity to take additional classes. Classes at COMPASS are delivered in a teacher led, electronic-based and independent study format.
Successful COMPASS students...
- Request a transfer to COMPASS with support of parents/guardian
- May have experiences a disruptive life event which interferes with his/her progress toward graduation
- May need an altered school day schedule which cannot be accommodated at other schools
- Has reliable transportation to and from school
- Has adults and others that support their educational success
- Is comfortable in a small learning environment
- Learns best with a low student to teacher ratio
- Responds positively to supportive relationships with adults
- Takes responsibility for their education
- Has a desire to graduate from high school
- Is in good disciplinary standing at school
If you are interested in attending COMPASS, talk to your school counselor to start the intake process. Students are encouraged to start COMPASS at the beginning of an academic quarter. It may not be possible for a student starting mid-quarter to have a full schedule at COMPASS.
See links to the left for specific COMPASS information.
There are links to one or more sites on this page that are external to the Linn-Mar Community School District web site and the Linn-Mar CSD is not responsible for the content contained on these sites.
Contact COMPASS Center